Financial Controls Advisor
In this role, you will manage and own the assurance process on financial controls (FC) for two Lines of Business (LoBs) within the Upstream division of the company.
The Upstream FC Advisor will play a pivotal role in supporting the Deepwater and Unconventional Resources LoBs and the Countries within it; driving the efficiency and effectiveness of its financial control framework. The candidate will play a key role in nurturing the Upstream FC community within Finance Operations (FO), key stakeholders within the Countries and the relevant community within the LoBs.
The candidate will develop a thorough knowledge of the Upstream Business and will have regular interactions with key stakeholders (including Business VPs & EVPs). Significant emphasis is placed on personal development within the team and the candidate will be encouraged and coached to focus on this area, both functionally and individually.
The Upstream FC Advisor will be a key point of contact between FO Process areas, the FO Upstream FC team and the Business. Responsibilities are to manage the FC agenda for the LoBs in scope, manage the day to day financial controls related matters and to respond pro-actively to Business needs from a financial risk & control perspective.
Being the most senior member in the Upstream FC team, the incumbent will act as Deputy to the Upstream FC lead.
- Manage and deliver the annual Risk and Control Identification (RCI) process for the LoBs in scope through ensuring effective communication, engagement and collaboration between relevant parties (e.g. Business & FO Process areas).
- Provide LoB input into the annual test plan and conduct risk based control effectiveness testing, ensuring, where relevant, detailed root cause analysis and remediation are undertaken to ensure ongoing control effectiveness, ensuring timely reporting and communication with relevant parties.
- Coordinate the execution of the overall Upstream annual test plan.
- Develop strong relationships with the local Controllers/Finance VPs and Finance EVP to ensure a deep understanding of the risk environment and its mitigation and the effective operational control performance within the LoBs.
- Maintain oversight of all financial control aspects, both within FO and remaining in the LoBs/Countries.
- Proactively identify and drive improvement opportunities in and rationalization opportunities of the financial control framework in the LoBs/Countries, working with FO teams and the Business to understand consequences of proposed opportunities and/or control changes within the LoBs/Countries to ensure the financial control framework overall remains fit for purpose.
- Manage and deliver the quarterly SOX reporting process for the LoBs in scope through liaising with relevant FO teams to ensure effective coordination of test plans, communication and coordination of relevant reporting (e.g. around control deficiencies).
- Liaise with internal and external audit teams on any FC related matters impacting the LoBs in scope.
- Enhance understanding of and involvement within the Upstream Business and LoBs through activities such as Control Self Assessments (CSA).
- Contribute to projects, initiatives and activities related to Upstream and in-scope LoBs business improvement.
- Assist in and own day to day Financial Control related matters relating to the in-scope LoBs and its Countries.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) & FC accountability for designated functional areas and projects, on behalf of the wider team and as an enabler to personal development.
- Act as the escalation point for any Control Owner Confirmation (CoC) or other Management in Control (MiC) matters in the financial controls space. Escalate business control issues via the business facing Governance Risk and Assurance (GRA) organization in FO.
- Drive and embed a risk-based mindset in the Business and within FO.
- The successful candidate will ideally be a professionally qualified Accountant or qualified by experience who has a range of experience in either the internal audit or risk and controls area.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (English written and spoken) and ability to influence are a requirement.
- A strong performance track record and high potential are desired.
- Knowledge of risk management, SOX, COSO etc will be advantageous.
- Affinity with IT applications & controls/governance, including knowledge of SAP, will be considered an advantage.
- Management of own deliverables will require the ability to prioritize and balance workloads along with strong time management skills.
- Passion for operational excellence and CI and motivate others to do so.
- Other desired trades and skills: professional skepticism, lateral thinking, analytically skilled, independent, result oriented, fast paced, resourceful, proactivity and the ability to manage change.
The company offers:
- Interesting work in international environment for a global leader.
- Work in a vibrant and dynamic team with a supportive inclusive culture and strong
- Complex medical care and individual life insurance.
- A unique opportunity to take part in professional trainings and to plan your own career path.
- Sports programme & facilities e.g. Multisport Benefits Card, vouchers for free time activities.